Since this past year was our beginning, I knew for this year I wanted to search through blogs to see just what everyone else was using, and why they liked it. I was glad veteran moms let us peek into their schools! It was a great help. We will be doing year-round homeschooling this school year, which starts June 1st. These are my picks, based on other mom reviews, Timberdoodle reviews, and samples I looked at online.
Emma, 1st Grade. This is most of Emma’s curriculum , all is new to us, except the handwriting. I have subjects we use with everyone in a shot at the end. The “I Wonder” book is a reader that is part of a set that goes to 8th grade. *UPDATE* I sent the reader set back, as my kids just didn't like them, as a replacement I ordered McGuffey's Eclectic Readers boxed set on Amazon. They are shipping today. I also will not be using All About Spelling, I know many moms love it, I just don't think it was for us. I am teaching spelling in a more natural way, while watching for misspellings. I am also now a reviewer for Download N Go, and we will be integrating those unit studies every month.
Noah, 2nd Grade. Very similar to what Emma is using as First Language Lessons is 1st and 2nd combined, and Writing With Ease goes to 4th. *UPDATE* Miquon Math didn’t work for us, so we have ordered Horizons for 1st and 2nd Grade. It is working well. Teaching Textbooks is a hit, but if you can buy the CD only, you’ll save a few bucks. We haven’t even opened the textbooks.
Hannah, 5th Grade. We chose Easy Grammar for the older kids, and Teaching Textbooks. If TT doesn’t work, I’ll eat something foul. It was our biggest budget buster, we just bought a little at a time. We will be introducing Latin with Word Roots. *UPDATE* Easy Grammar wasn’t going so well for Hannah, so we went back to Sandi Queen’s curriculum, Language Lessons. We chose the Elementary Child Level.
Oops, forgot her Handwriting….
Christian, 8th Grade. Christian is also using the Word Roots, and does not do handwriting. Math is a big struggle, so I decided to bring him down a level before moving on to Pre-Algebra.
Evan and Leah, Preschool. This is not even a little bit of what I have for them, my living room was already stacked with books, and I was trying to outpace Leah’s unexpected nap! I put a sheet protector on the workbook pages for reuse. I ordered the Letter of the Week curriculum from Erica. I wish I had her talent! Since I don’t, I am very thankful for hers!
These are for everyone. The Book of Virtues, and The Mystery of History are the only repeats here. I have taken several of our books that will be reused to the local printer where they removed the binding and 3-hole-punched them. I put them in a binder. *UPDATE* Everyone LOVES Exploring Creation with Astronomy from Apologia! We are also enjoying Explode the Code. I have also ordered MapTrek World History and US CDs and the hardcover book that just came out from Knowledge Quest.
This is my planner. I have a few features I still wish it had, so Type A, I know. Because of that, I also have handy a binder I call Mom’s Homeschool Planner, with various stuff I want to keep at hand.
I took a LOT of time researching curriculum. I really pray all of this works for us, but I will keep updating as we go, if we have to change anything, or what we are enjoying.
What are your favorites??



Looks like an excellent plan! I am still trying to figure out my son's curriculum for next year, but we are sort of in the middle of some of his work, so I have time.
ReplyDeleteMy little girls will continue with Spell to Write and Read and RightStart math. They do A Child's Geography with their brother, so that works out well. :)
And I got that same planner. I really like it, and can't wait to start using it.
P.S. I'm thinking about Teaching Textbooks after RightStart, but yeah, it's expensive. Ouch! Please let us know what you think.
ReplyDeleteI like Abeka and Bob Jones University curriculums. It looks like you are well planned for the next school year, yippie!
ReplyDeleteHoping it goes as smoothly as it seems to be heading. I am much more prepared for this second year, for sure!! We really hope the year-round schedule (4 days a week) works well for us!
ReplyDeleteYou're doing a great job!! Keep it up! Love you! ~S.
ReplyDeleteStumbled upon your blog today and reading through the entries. I would have to say that right now our favorites are Greenleaf Guide to the OT, Life of Fred, Truthquest History, and the new Exploring Creation through Anatomy that we will be starting in another month or so. We also have decided to start schooling year round with us going in to our 5th year of homeschooling.
ReplyDeleteBlessings
Diane
wow! we use (or have used) a LOT of the same stuff! fun! I came over from blogfrog! thanks for leading me here... it is very fun to meet your family! I assume you've been to my blog, but if not you are cordially invited! ;)
ReplyDeleteamy in peru
http://fisheracademy.blogspot.com
um... hilarious. I just saw the link to my blog in your sidebar!! hahahahaha ;) [blushing a deep rouge] I knew I'd been to your place before, but I sometimes lose track of everything... please forgive! ;)
ReplyDeleteamy in peru
great choices! I too will be using the Letter of the Week curriculum for my preschooler.
ReplyDeleteLots of great choices. We are huge fans of FLL and WWE at our house. I probably used 3 other LA curriculums before I found those. They've been great.
ReplyDeleteYou've got some of our favorites on your list. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
ReplyDeleteHi! Found you through the Not Back-to-School Blog Hop. I love that you used pictures to share your piles of books... I wanted to reach out and pick them up to leaf through them!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip about not really needing the Teaching Textbooks books, just the cd. This one is on our radar as a good program we ~might~ pick up for next year (4th grade).
Have a great year!
Hi Nice post... I like the visuals. I'm using CLE LA1 and Learning to Read. I will be starting the I Wonder soon. Do you use the Readers only? or their Reading curriculum? When do I start builing think skills? My dd is 7 yrs old?
ReplyDeleteThanks
Monica
discovertheirgifts.blogspot.com
It's interesting to see your updates. We tried to school year round this year and started in June but fizzled out after 3 weeks. However it was a great way to see what was working and what wasn't so I could make new plans for the year accordingly. Good luck and continued success!
ReplyDeleteVery nice Samantha!! I love how you took pictures. The thought crossed my mind, but there would be a LOT. But it's always fun to SEE it :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't gotten my post up yet, but I'm hoping to get it up today, lol.
~Christin
So glad to hear that you are liking Horizons math and Apologia! We are using both of those for the first time this fall~I'm really excited about it! We also love the Getty-Dubay handwriting program. And I'm LOVING my new Well Planned Day:)) It was nice visiting you!
ReplyDeleteYes, the research takes forever! But I'm always so happy when I get a curriculum that really works the way my child learns :) I'm going to go check out The Well Planned Day organizer, I need something like that!
ReplyDeleteI am interested in your letter of the week for pre-K. Do you have a link? I am also interested in checking out that planner. Thank you for sharing, it looks like you have some great picks.
ReplyDeleteA lot of great choices. Looks like a wonderful year in store. I am going to have to go check out the Zoologic set, it looks interesting.
ReplyDeleteI agree--the textbook is not really necessary for TT. I love your updates. Thanks for sharing what is working and what isn't! :)
ReplyDeleteI found your blog while doing a curriculum search via google. {moms's curriculum = google university. ha} How is TT working for you guys?
ReplyDeleteCute blog. You have a great lookin' family. :)
I found your blog while doing a curriculum search via google. {moms's curriculum = google university. ha} How is TT working for you guys?
ReplyDeleteCute blog. You have a great lookin' family. :)
So glad to hear that you are liking Horizons math and Apologia! We are using both of those for the first time this fall~I'm really excited about it! We also love the Getty-Dubay handwriting program. And I'm LOVING my new Well Planned Day:)) It was nice visiting you!
ReplyDeleteYes, the research takes forever! But I'm always so happy when I get a curriculum that really works the way my child learns :) I'm going to go check out The Well Planned Day organizer, I need something like that!
ReplyDeletewow! we use (or have used) a LOT of the same stuff! fun! I came over from blogfrog! thanks for leading me here... it is very fun to meet your family! I assume you've been to my blog, but if not you are cordially invited! ;)
ReplyDeleteamy in peru
http://fisheracademy.blogspot.com