Thursday, December 23, 2010

Reflecting On Year Two

This time two years ago I decided to get fit. I am so blessed to have an insanely supportive husband, who was my constant cheerleader.

That first year was not at all easy.

I worked out when I did not want to do it.

I worked out when the mirror didn’t show the work I put in.

I worked out when the scale didn’t budge.

Eventually I got there. I got farther than I even dreamed I would.

At my goal weight, last December I started the journey of maintaining.

It hasn’t been as much fun as I thought it would be.

I envisioned happy me, never gaining an ounce, never unhappy with where I was physically.

The truth is, losing was a whole lot more fun than this maintenance is.  I had always heard that people gain a few pounds back after losing a large amount of weight, and settle into a more reasonable number. It made sense for other people, but I wanted to stay at 143 for the rest of my life.

It lasted a month or two.

Then I started slowly gaining. I worked harder to get it back down by lifting heavier, working out harder, and I watched as the scale crept just a little more.

My weight today was 155. I have weighed that for a few months now.

I liked 143 better. My weight range for height, and bone structure, is 137-155.

Did I mention I liked 143 better?

I have made a few poor eating choices, but have been relatively good with nutrition. I don’t like many foods really. I like butter. On a loaded baked potato. I crave salt and potatoes. I no longer crave sweets and cakes. I drink mostly water. I still drink a cup of sweet tea.

I would like to make some goals for this coming year as far as fitness goes. I would like to get to 145. 10 pounds in a year. If I could do 78 pounds in 10 months, this seems very doable. I am going to continue with my workouts 5-6 days a week, and be more careful about how I fuel my body.

I am also going to do my workout post of the week on Saturday, instead of Sunday. I wrote it on Saturday anyway. I would love to have others jump in and share their success and failure. I get a lot of emails about this, but I also think if others could read what is working (or not) for those on a similar track, we could help each other. So leave me your thoughts in a comment. Even if you think everyone else will think you are crazy. Even if you are emotional and afraid you will ramble.

How was your year? What do you want to change? What do you think worked? If nothing worked, why? And as always, if there is anything at all I can help you with, feel free to ask!

And yes, I realize this is neither Stick With It Saturday or Sunday….but who wants to post about weight loss on Christmas?

2556713-baked-potato-loaded-with-butter-sour-cream-cheddar-cheese-bacon-bits-and-chives--isolated-on-white-b

5 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration! 2011 Will be a great year for you. You need an inspirational workout buddy, don't you? Consider this a public announcement: I'm in. ~S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for inspiring me! I've struggled with my weight my entire life... and girl, I'd love to weigh 155! The heavy end for my weight range is 165... and it scares me that, {if I ever get to my goal weight} I wouldn't be able to maintain. I admire you for sticking with it even after you lost the weight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good plan for the year. Have you ever tried Stevia for sweetening your tea. It's a plant that's sweet and no calories and not bad for you like the chemical sweeteners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do use stevia, in hot tea. I need to drink it in my iced tea, but man I love real sweet tea! 1 cup a day isn't that bad. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do use stevia, in hot tea. I need to drink it in my iced tea, but man I love real sweet tea! 1 cup a day isn't that bad. Right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love to visit your blogs too!

Disqus for Sam's Noggin