I have a wonderful man beside me everyday that I am proud to call my husband. I wanted to share a few things that I cherish about him.
He loves the Lord. Not every woman is yet blessed with this detail in her spouse, but I am. Rick was raised in a Christian home, the son of a preacher; we obeyed the gospel together in 1998. ~Romans 6:4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
He is my favorite preacher. He takes that filled-up brain of his and spits it back out for people like me to understand. He stops everything to help a weary soul set their life back in order, takes late night phone calls, changes entire sermons at the last minute to help someone who needs it, and always knows what to say to a hurting person. Even if it is a road he has never traveled. He has a wonderful gift. Preachers are undervalued and underpaid. With so much responsibility, they should be paid as well as possible; as well as any other professional. He went to school and studied (and still does) as much or more than those with letters after their name. How many times have you gone to the doctor or pharmacy to have a check-up for your soul? ~Matthew 16:26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
He is humble, and trustworthy. He worries every week about what he is going to say; and calculates every word until he is pleased it is enough. He then comes home and worries if he said all that needed to be said; and if the Lord was pleased. He carries the weight of many others burdens without complaint and he keeps everything he knows in his heart, with a tight lip. ~Luke 14:11 For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.
He is a wonderful father. He has spent the late night, early baby days, changing diapers. He helped so much with all the things a lot of mothers are left to do themselves. When I was nursing, he was making sure I had something to drink. He breaks up sibling squabbles, explains Bible (and math) to a curious child, and is my constant homeschooling supporter. He is a Biblical example of what a father should be, and our children see it. Our oldest two were both baptized this year, thanks in part to his faithful instruction. He is always there; and all he does, he does with a good heart. ~Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
He is Mr. Steady. I have been reading a book recently about marriage, and the author offers that there are 3 types of men: The Boss, The Visionary, and The Steady. It takes a lot to get my steady man upset. I wish my feathers were ruffled as little as his are! He calculates his words, and says much less than he thinks to say. He slowly teaching me to guard my tongue. ~James 3:5 So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire!
He gives me foot rubs. I can’t think of a chapter and verse for this one, but it sure does feel good!!
He is a one woman man. I have nothing to worry about. My husband is as true as they come. ~Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
He is the forever optimist. We are opposites on this one. I have been learning to be more optimistic over the years because of his influence, but I am at heart, a true fatalist. In our most trying times, I am ready to count all lost, and he is standing by knowing the Lord will provide all we need. ~Matthew 6:26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
He sees the best in people. I grew up with a hard life. I am always on guard. Rick is a little less naive than he was a few years ago, but he still looks for, and chooses to see the best in everyone. I think we compliment each other well in this area too. He meets the needs of people, and leaves the rest to God. ~Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
He is my best friend. We have been together since I was 14. He walks beside me, not in front of me. He supports and comforts me. He knows my story, and I don’t need to explain why I am the way I am. He knows all of that. He finishes my thought, and I finish his. He finds me a good wife; even on days when I don’t feel good enough for him. I still can’t believe that he is “that guy from Spanish class” that I met the first day of my freshmen year of high school. It took a year to get him to ask me to be his girlfriend, we had our break-up phases, always finding our way back to each other, and I am so thankful to have him. We have had many ups and downs; but I can’t imagine sharing the good or the bad with any other. He has grown to be the best husband and father a woman can ask for, and for that I am truly thankful. Thank you Lord, for my very dear friend. ~Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.



Aww, what a nice post dedicated to your husband, very touching! Blessings! Amy
ReplyDeleteThis is so precious. Sounds like you are truly blessed!
ReplyDeleteJill
Thank you! I am blessed.
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing, good men are gifts from God.
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing, good men are gifts from God.
ReplyDelete