Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Finding Our Groove

I have been all over the board with a schedule for our homeschool- public school calendar, year-round with long breaks, year-round with Monday off and not much of a break, and some back and forth in between.

None of it was working well for us.

Although I liked the break on Mondays, we never felt really refreshed. Monday is just a Monday. The kids would lose steam, I would lose steam.

We all got cranky.

DSC_2112-1

Our new schedule?

The fantastic schedule?

We are following the lead of our new curriculum, the Trail Guide to Learning by Geography Matters.

{Which I adore, by the way!}

The literature-based curriculum is broken up into six-week segments. We finish our first six weeks of Columbus this week.

Instead of jumping into the next six weeks, we are taking a break!

DSC_0025

We will then do 3 weeks of Jamestown, take off some for Thanksgiving, 3 weeks more to finish Jamestown, and a few days later will bring Christmas break.

After that we will be back to 6 weeks on and one week off. To get to the last unit, we will have to extend school a few weeks as we didn’t start the year with this curriculum, and we want to finish it.

DSC_0026

For us, knowing we have a wonderful week to recover every 6 weeks keeps us going, gives us something to look forward to, to keep on keeping on.

{It helps that we adore this curriculum. Have I mentioned that?}

DSC_0020-1

What schedule has worked best for your family? Are you currently using it?

Disqus for Sam's Noggin