Last week I joined up with Christin over at Joyful Mothering for a series she just launched.
The Challenge for this week: Create a schedule –or routine.
The planner makes another schedule, as part of the HOMEmaker’s Challenge This time I decided to go with a schedule I can more easily change if when things come up. I made it on the computer, and actually saved each one so they can have alterations.
We followed the schedule pretty well today, except we don’t get to bed as early on Wednesday because of Bible study. The kids usually need an extra few minutes to unwind.
I have a spot where all three of our schedules are going to go in the kitchen and classroom, but I didn’t have time to get that together today. Why three??
We have recently moved to a year-round schooling schedule, and will be doing school 4 days a week, Monday through Thursday.
My actual schedules are white & orange, and pretty- but I can’t get them to fit right here.
So this first schedule reflects a school day.
Monday- Thursday schedule:
| Time | Mom | Christian | Hannah | Noah | Emma | Evan | Leah |
| 6:00 | Bible Time and Prayer | ||||||
| 7:00 | Workout and shower | ||||||
| 8:00 | Tidy Bath, Laundry Wake Kids | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 |
| 8:30 | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up |
| 9:00 | History | History | History | History | History | Play | Play |
| 9:30 | Science | Science | Science | Science | Science | Play | Play |
| 10:00 | Math with Emma | Math | Math | Math | Math | Veggie | Tales |
| 10:30 | Grammar, ETC, HW, Reading with Emma | Grammar | Grammar | Reading | Grammar | ||
| 11:00 | Grammar with Noah | Reading | Reading | Reading | Play/Read E&L | Emma | Time |
| 11:30 | Help with any ???? | ~Books | Away | Tidy | Room | Up | Please~ |
| 12:00 | Lunch, Email, Blog | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch |
| 1:00 | Clean Up & Quiet Time | Clean Up & Free Time | Clean Up & Free Time | Clean Up & Free Time | Clean Up & Free Time | Clean Up & Free Time | Clean Up & Free Time |
| 2:00 | Chores | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time |
| 3:00 | Read with Kids & Clean up | Read with Mom & Clean up | Read with Mom & Clean up | Read with Mom & Clean up | Read with Mom & Clean up | Read with Mom & Clean up | Read with Mom & Clean up |
| 4:00 | Laundry and Dinner Prep | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time |
| 5:00 | Dinner and Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse |
| 5:30 | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time |
| 8:30 | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional |
| 9:00 | Time with Rick | Bed | Bed | Bed | Bed | Bed | Bed |
| 10:30 11:00 | Bed |
Friday reflects getting ready to run errands and grocery shopping. I also clean like a mad woman on Friday.
Friday Schedule:
| Time | Mom | Christian | Hannah | Noah | Emma | Evan | Leah |
| 6:00 | Bible Time and Prayer | ||||||
| 7:00 | Workout and shower | ||||||
| 8:00 | Tidy Bath, Laundry Wake Kids | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 |
| 8:30 | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up |
| 9:00 | Menu | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time |
| 9:30 | Shopping List | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time |
| 10:00 | Chores | Chores | Chores | Chores | Chores | Chores | Chores |
| 10:30 | Chores | Chores | Chores | Chores | Chores | Chores | Chores |
| 11:00 | Chores | Reading | Reading | Reading | Reading | Reading | Reading |
| 11:30 | Make Lunch | ~Books | Away | Tidy | Room | Up | Please~ |
| 12:00 | Lunch, Email, Blog | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch |
| 1:00 | Clean Up & Go | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up |
| 2:00 | Errands and Shopping | ||||||
| 3:00 | Errands and Shopping | ||||||
| 4:00 | Home and Dinner Prep | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time |
| 5:00 | Dinner and Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse |
| 5:30 | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time |
| 8:30 | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional |
| 9:00 | Time with Rick | Bed | Bed | Bed | Bed | Bed | Bed |
| 10:30 11:00 | Bed |
On Saturday the kids will have more free time, and Mom has time for chores or freezer cooking, and homeschool planning.
Saturday Schedule:
| Time | Mom | Christian | Hannah | Noah | Emma | Evan | Leah |
| 6:00 | Bible Time and Prayer | ||||||
| 7:00 | Workout and shower | ||||||
| 8:00 | Tidy Bath, Laundry Wake Kids | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 | Wake Morning 5 |
| 8:30 | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up |
| 9:00 | Chores | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time |
| 9:30 | Chores | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time |
| 10:00 | Chores | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time |
| 10:30 | Planning | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time | Free Time |
| 11:00 | Planning | Reading | Reading | Reading | Reading | Reading | Reading |
| 11:30 | Make Lunch | ~Books | Away | Tidy | Room | Up | Please~ |
| 12:00 | Lunch, Email, Blog | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch | Lunch |
| 1:00 | Clean Up & Laundry or FC | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up | Clean Up |
| 2:00 | Laundry or Freezer | Help Mom | Help Mom | Help Mom | Help Mom | Help Mom | Help Mom |
| 3:00 | Laundry or Freezer | Help Mom | Help Mom | Help Mom | Help Mom | Help Mom | Help Mom |
| 4:00 | Home and Dinner Prep | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time | Take up laundry & Quiet Time |
| 5:00 | Dinner and Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse | Dinner & Verse |
| 5:30 | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time | Clean-up & family time |
| 8:30 | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional | Evening 5 & Devotional |
| 9:00 | Time with Rick | Bed | Bed | Bed | Bed | Bed | Bed |
| 10:30 11:00 | Bed |
I am a planner/list-maker/organizing kind of person. I may actually have gotten it right this time! Only time will tell!
Up for a HOMEmaker’s Challenge yourself? Head on over and tell Christin you want to join in!
“The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down.” Proverbs 14:1



Hey~ I just blogged about how organized you were in my last post.. and then saw this! Love it!
ReplyDeleteI try not to disappoint! ;)
ReplyDeleteinspiring! thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteimpressive. I could never follow it. then I would be even more frustrated because I fell off the schedule. of course, I don't have 6 kids either :)
ReplyDeleteP.S. I don't see blogging on your schedule ;)
ReplyDeleteYou are so well organized! With 6 kiddos, I'm sure you have to be, or things just wouldn't get done! Our school days are not scheduled...the older kids just have their lists of assignments. After "individual work" is done, then we do our "together work". Every day here is different, with various outside classes, etc.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your new blog design! I have been flip- flopping back and forth about trying to teach myself to do blog design, so I can do exactly what I want to do, or just hiring someone to give my blog a big makeover (a much faster route!). Still not sure which way I will go! :)
writingthewaves.com
Good morning!! First - LOVE the new design :)
ReplyDeleteI'm working on my schedule and I was trying to figure out how to separate my weekends from the weeks and duh!! Make a seperate schedule. {shakes head in disbelief}
Marcy- I have noon scheduled for blogging ;) I am cheating by being on here now, but we overslept! I LOVE the new design too! I have a wonderful designer who made it painless! You can have yours done for a steal too. :)
ReplyDeleteAurie- don't feel bad it took me this many schedules to figure it out too!
I love it Sam! You know, we are doing year round homeschooling, too, but never thought to take Fridays off. I think that is a great idea. Not only does that give me a chance to catch up on cleaning for the week (so I can spend the weekend just focused on being with my family), when it gets warm out, it gives the children an extra day for outdoor play!
ReplyDeleteI tend to feel guilty for having the children do school during the summer...but the truth is...after a few weeks they are already bored and need something to do. Or some days are just too hot to go outside. So school year round isn't really that big of a deal. Plus, we can lighten the load and spread it out more as well as be more flexible throughout the year and not become stressed about it.
I have a schedule like yours that breaks everything down, but don't follow it perfectly. Typically, my eldest does all her independent work in the morning while I work with my younger children.
After lunch, I work with my eldest and my younger children have free time.
I need to be more diligent about getting MY chores done throughout the day. That's one area I tend to slack and then have to play "catch up" by the weekend.
Anyhoo...love the schedule. Love the idea of taking Fridays off! Thank you for that idea! ;-) SO glad you're participating!!
I also love your new blog look. The thought of Fridays off is also very enticing. We do year round school, as well. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, I like it :) The orange and white is pretty in the picture too. I think pretty always helps.
ReplyDeleteSam,
ReplyDeleteLOVE your new bloggy-look!!!!! So cute and so you! WE will be homeschooling year-round, too...I just might link up and try this challenge!
Nicki
Nicki, since we are so alike, you should go get Liz to do one for you too!!
ReplyDeleteWow, you are so organized! Thanks for sharing and it's given me some insight :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE your new blog look! Super cute :) I also loved how you made every other row on your schedule a different color - makes it stand out. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteYou are so well organized! With 6 kiddos, I'm sure you have to be, or things just wouldn't get done! Our school days are not scheduled...the older kids just have their lists of assignments. After "individual work" is done, then we do our "together work". Every day here is different, with various outside classes, etc.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your new blog design! I have been flip- flopping back and forth about trying to teach myself to do blog design, so I can do exactly what I want to do, or just hiring someone to give my blog a big makeover (a much faster route!). Still not sure which way I will go! :)
writingthewaves.com
I try not to disappoint! ;)
ReplyDelete