Sunday, January 16, 2011

Freezer Cooking

 

DSC_0680

 

We finally took the plunge. I ordered this book from Amazon:

 

30daygourmet

I sat down and read, then made a plan. ***update*** I bought this particular book because I am new to this style of cooking, it has a large section of how to get started, what you will need and the advantages to cooking solo, or with a friend. There are recipes, charts and worksheets that are in the book and those same files you can download off the internet. Every recipe has a chart for changes in the recipe for amount you want to cook. ***

DSC_0684

I am going to freezer cook based on what is on sale. This week I bought the chicken in family packs we normally buy at Walmart for $1.78 a pound. I also bought more generics than I have ever bought in my life!

DSC_0687

We moved a tall table into the kitchen for work space, as we only have a little counter space. Hubby trimmed and flattened chicken on one end, while me and the girls made marinades and sauces on the other side.

We made about 2 weeks worth of food in about 4 hours, we spent another hour cleaning the kitchen. We had one meal that day, and one we put in the oven to bake while we were at church.

The verdict? WELL worth the effort, and we will be doing it again either this weekend or the next. And, my husband is the best cooking teammate EVER!!!

7 comments:

  1. I love how you worked together as a family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear about some of the meals you prepared! Is there a follow-up post coming?? HINT HINT! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I wanna try the batch cooking. I'm not a planner though and would be lost trying to do something like this. I still think I might try it. You probably saved money buying in bulk like that too. I'm really having a hard time sticking to a budget and getting enough meals on the table. Very discouraging to try to eat healthy and not spend a fortune. Which Walmart do you shop at? The one I go to in Hazard is pathetic. They don't keep it very well stocked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Samantha,
    I found your blog through Roan. I have wanted to try the batch cooking for over a year now, but it just seems so overwhelming every time I think about it! Did the book help with the planning? Does it give you the recipes and grocery list?

    ReplyDelete
  5. its looks good sam!!!! yea!!!

    debbie from ch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like ya'll accomplished a lot! My husband and I started out by doing a day long cooking marathon, but once I stopped working I started cooking by myself so I break it up into 2 days worth of work (1 day of ground beef, 1 day of chicken).

    I can definitely tell you that I have spoiled myself with freezer cooking. I think once you learn how, finally take the plunge...well, you never go back to cooking everyday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to hear about some of the meals you prepared! Is there a follow-up post coming?? HINT HINT! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I love to visit your blogs too!

Disqus for Sam's Noggin