We had the pleasure of reviewing our first unit study from The Curiosity Files which is published by The Old Schoolhouse®.
While we are not new to unit studies, we are new to The Curiosity Files. I must say that I was really impressed with Puffer Fish. The study had me from the beginning with the quirky “Professor Ana Lyze”. How fun is that?
The layout of the study itself was great. I enjoyed having the main study of the Puffer Fish altogether, with questions and extras at the end of the section. The study is arranged by subject after the initial section, “Everything You Never Wanted to Know About the Puffer Fish”.
The study includes Bible, copywork, math, spelling, science, geography, hands-on fun, and projects. There is more to find in The Curiosity Files, but I won’t spoil all of the fun by telling you everything you can find!
We did most of the work, and enjoyed what Puffer Fish had to offer as a unit study. We will be working on some more tomorrow, but I was so excited that I wanted to share with you today. We were inspired to do some more research when the lesson was over, and I will be posting about that later as well. If you are intrigued enough to keep the learning going, the product gets a thumbs up from me.
We used this with all of our 6 children, ranging from 3-13. The entire study would not be suitable for the highest grades, but there are plenty of different activities for a large age base, including special needs. Even our teenager enjoyed the study, and the littlest ones listened and looked at pictures. Our almost 5 year old correctly answered a few of the questions in the review, even though he was playing in the other part of the room while I was reading.
If I had one criticism, it would be that I would like more of a lesson plan to map out how much to do, or how long the study should last. I am going to break it up into two days, but it seems like it could last much longer, especially if you do all of the extras.
We are looking forward to finishing up this study, and will definitely use The Curiosity Files in the future!
You can see all of the Curiosity Files titles by visiting the The Old Schoolhouse® store here. You can find this title, Puffer Fish here, where there is also a link for you to preview the title yourself. The price for this E-Unit Study is $6.95. There also bundled packages available.
**I was given a copy of this E-Unit Study for the purpose of an honest review. All opinions are my own.**


